Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pep Talk for Her Friend


My daughter told me about her friend who is undergoing treatment and is starting to have a very rough time.
Tonight, that young man held on tight for a hug and I was surprised at the intensity of that hug. I felt the desperation he has for his treatment to be over. I felt the fear in him for a future unseen. 

As I felt him tremble, I tried to give him words that would help him on his journey. I tried to pass on my strength to him.

Yes, it will get harder before it gets better, but it will get better.

Yes, the treatment will leave you not wanting to go on, but there are others who have been taken off treatment who will gladly take your place.

Yes, the pain will seem unbearable and the nausea will leave you weak, but you are alive to feel that pain and to lie your body down to rest.

Take it one day at a time and know that there are so many brothers and sisters who are cheering you on every step of the way.

Allow yourself to rest when your body is screaming for it. It doesn’t show your weakness, it shows you are giving your body respect for the battle it is waging on this disease.

Reach out your hand when you need it so that the people who love you can step in and help to make this war just a little bit easier. 

You are not and will never be alone in this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment